Sunday, July 4, 2010

Any Effort to Prohibit Behavior Beyond Debate is Undue Force

Rule:
Any effort to prohibit the behavior of (1) an adult, or (2) between consenting adults, beyond debate or demonstration is undue force.

In other words:
You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.
But If you had the power, should you?
God respects my choices, why can't you?

Exceptions:
  • I say adults, as I subscribe to the idea that children should be subject to their parents (or those acting in their stead) to listen and obey.
  • Although not specifically stated, it is certainly implied, that the behavior only involves those that wish to partake, and that there would be no adverse effects (or unreasonable inconvenience) to those who don't partake.

Analysis:

What would this mean for suicide, drug use, and active homosexuals?

I am a Practicing Christian. It means that I read The Book and try to abide by it's teachings. I often attend church services as my formal and public act of worshiping God; but most importantly, I go to hear God's word. I often receive food for thought listening to someone else go into detail about a verse that I may have overlooked, or didn't consider under a certain light. As I sit there and listen, I ponder each point being made and apply them to my own understanding. Do they match what I already believe? Or do they clash? Do they shed new light? Or do they challenge my beliefs? Generally I agree with most of the ideas, I am persuaded by some others, and (quite rarely) I deny a few.

Here is where we get to the meat of the issue. As far as the rejected ideas go, should I be forced to accept them? Of course not.
Should I be persuaded? Sure, by anyone who wishes to take on the task. My ideas need to be challenged by argument. If my ides are right, they stand firm; if they are wrong, the challenge will expose and debunk hem. And it would behoove me to abandon them.
Now, what methods are fair game? The rule says debate and demonstration. That's it! But as we all know, some feel comfortable using threats, name calling, force, doctrine, or even our laws as methods of persuasion.

A man wants to kill himself.
I am against suicide as an option. I am inclined to dissuade anyone with that intent from doing so. You've got a lot to live for. Don't loose hope. God wants you to live, and dammit so do I. If my arguments have no effect, I'd probably try again. But at some point, my authority ends. Do I stop talking and restrain him physically for his own safety? This is probably the weakest part of my argument so why not make it the first. The rest is downhill from here.

How comfortable do I feel, essentially deciding that this person is now a child and needs me to make decisions for him to the point that I must stop him by force? Not very comfortable at all. You may feel differently.

This is my body. As an adult, I reserve the right to workout, eat healthy, and watch Oprah. Those of you that know me, know that I don't do any of those things; but I reserve that right. By that same logic I reserve the right to put a needle through my finger, a knife through my arm or a bullet through my head. Those of you that know me, know that I would never do any of those things; but I reserve that right.

If any self destructive action I take does not adversely effect or unreasonably inconvenience any of you, none of you have any right to restrain me from taking it, beyond for you argument, persuasion, and/or demonstration. Make me want to live. And if I believe that for myself, I have to treat others in the same light.

The same goes for SOME drug users. As I said, each of us has the right to self destruction. None of us has the right to harm others. So if you want to take drugs and drink booze to cloud your mind and help with your troubles (but please don't), that is your right. However it is not your right to endanger me with your second hand smoking, unchecked temper or inebriated driving.

The same goes for our brothers who choose to be active as homosexuals. I don't pretend to KNOW for certain that people are born as homosexuals, or if they are turned during their upbringing. As for myself, I had no interest in the fairer sex until I hit puberty, then they had plenty of my attention. And I'm not sure how much of a choice I had as to my preference.

Here is what I do know:
  • The equipment seems to have a purpose under the heterosexual model and not the homosexual one. The peaces seem to fit and each of us is evidence of it's function. Every homosexual that ever existed (so far) was born from a woman and with genetic material of a man.
  • Since my interest in women, I have yet to have sex. I am 29. I am unmarried. I am a virgin. This means one of two things: (1) I am mutt ugly and physical incapable of attracting a female, or (2) I have made a choice to abstain from sex until marriage. (Maybe a combination of both.)
  • The Bible is plenty clear. Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination (Leviticus 18:22). It is interesting to note that the New Testament says nothing on this subject.
With these things in mind, I conclude that even if I were convinced that homosexuals are born as homosexuals, they have the power, as much as anyone else, to choose to abstain from the actual act. I have often been overwhelmed by the desire to kill family members who have found occasion to anger me, friends who have betrayed my trust, and strangers who run red lights and almost kill me while I'm crossing the street. I have not killed anyone yet. I am capable of restraining myself from this natural, but very wrong, desire.

All of that said, the act of homosexuality takes place between consenting adults, and it has no obvious ill effects on society. So while I would point to the authorities listed above in trying to convince a homosexual to convert, or at least abstain from what they believe is a natural desire, my methods of persuasion must end at debate. Anything beyond that is undue force.

God has granted each of us free will. Each of us is capable to chose one thing over another. "There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it." (I Corinthians 10:13). In other words our temptations, desires, weaknesses, vices are not stronger than we are. God has provided the exit and the capacity to chose it. If I chose not to take the exit, to ignore his word and do what I want, God respects that choice.

How many arms did Jesus twist? How many were forced into conversion by the Apostles? None, according to the Bible. What did Jesus do? He spoke God's word and asked people to accept it, chose it, obey it. He didn't twist any arms, He didn't threaten, He didn't lobby the Romans to pass laws against other groups.

Jesus healed the blind, lame, and the sick. He even brought people back from the dead. He did not "heal" anyone from their weakness. When all her accusers where gone, Jesus turned to the woman who was caught in the act of adultery and said "go, and sin no more." (John 8:11). He gave her a second chance and said take it. You have the ability to get it right from now on. Or you can chose to sin again, and I won't stop you because I respect your free will. I will not exorcise undue force.

No comments:

Post a Comment