Sunday, August 8, 2010

Be Wrong on the Other Side

The other title we could give this rule is "Don't rush me when I'm naked."


At 07:46 I called one of my sister in Christ for two reasons:

1. This week I was tasked with preparing the slide show for today's service at 10:00. I wanted to confirm that the songs on the slide show were in the proper order and to get the name of the last song which she was supposed to e-mail me, but never did.

2. I asked her what time she was leaving her house, as she would be my ride to church. She said 09:20.


That gives me an hour and a half to do a few errands around the house, have breakfast at the diner down the street, come back and shower before pickup.


I admit that breakfast took longer than I would have preferred to be served. But it was delicious and I still had time. I walked back home, jumped in the shower and started scrubbing away.


At 09:06 the sister calls me to say she's downstairs waiting for me. Yes, I took my phone into the bathroom with me. It goes where I go. Get over it.


Let's take a moment to reflect: I am in the shower. I am naked. I am wet. I have shampoo in my hair. I am the furthest thing from ready there is. And now I have to rush so as not to keep the sister waiting.


Now, because I am a simple man, I was dressed and in her car at 09:13. But now I'm praying to God I didn't forget anything, that I didn't leave something behind. In her mind, she is late. In my mind, I am unprepared.


All of this could be avoided with a simple approach. Be wrong on the other side. If she said 09:00 and showed up at 09:06 there is no harm done. I'm make sure to be ready by 09:00 and wait 6 minutes. No harm done. But showing up 14 minutes before expected, forces me to rush, or to make her wait. It is bad for everybody.


All of that said, I thank the sister for her assistance, as other modes of transport in this city are inconvenient and expensive.

No comments:

Post a Comment