Sunday, September 26, 2010

Christians and Americans would not, by definition, oppose the so called Ground Zero Mosque

I'm under the impression that I have heard all the arguments on this issue, and my conclusions are thus:
- A Christian, a believer in the teachings of Jesus, by definition, has no objection to the so called Ground Zero Mosque.
- An American, one who embraces the Constitution, by definition, has no objection to the so called Ground Zero Mosque.
Not without abandoning some of the core beliefs that define them.

First the issue, as I have have come to understand it: A group of Muslims are seeking to purchase an abandoned Burlington Coat Factory which happens to be located 2 blocks from Ground Zero. They intend to build a community center which will likely contain a Mosque.

Opposed to them are several folks who feel that "the people who attached us" should not be allowed to build a Mosque near Ground Zero.

My point: an American or a Christian, by definition, would have no objection to the so called Ground Zero Mosque. I am being very careful with my words here. I'm not saying they should be in favor of the Mosque; that would be their own choice. What I am saying is that based on their faith in the Bible and/or the Constitution, they would have no objection to the Mosque.

A Christian:
Kindergarten logic would dictate "Good for you, bad for me." In other words, if it is good for Islam, it is bad for Christianity.

I am a Christian; been one since October 14, 2001. By definition, I am to "Go [...] and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost" (The Great Commission, Matthew 28:19, KJV). My mission is to convert others to Christianity.

By any means necessary? No. I don't think anyone would be in favor of another inquisition. And besides, forcing others to accept Christianity is ... well, unchristian. I mean, what would Jesus do? His approach was simply to say "follow me." He would speak and he would teach, and people were free to follow Him or ignore Him. The most violent thing Jesus did was turning over the tables at the Temple. Wall Street? No, I'm not getting into that now. Need to stay on topic.

I am commissioned to convert others to Christianity. Other religions and belief systems, understandably, also seek to convert others to themselves: Muslims, Hindus, Vegetarians, Communists, Team Edward, etc.

Back to the Mosque, kindergarten logic says that as a Christian with a mission to convert others to Christianity, my job would be easier with one less Mosque in the world, especially if it is at Ground Zero. But like I said, what methods, what tactics did Jesus use? Do we know more than Jesus, that we feel comfortable abandoning "follow me" for more forceful methods to obstruct their worship?

My weapon is The Word. My tactics are example and debate. Anything beyond that is outside of Christ.

An American:
"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances." (The First Amendment to the Constitution to the United States - As if you didn't know)

They are a region. They wish to exorcise their right to worship. They wish to peaceably assemble. And they have a right not to be prohibited to do so. Unless you are in favor of repealing the Fist Amendment. Good luck with that.

And even if they don't stick to the "peaceably assemble," we have laws and forces tasked with dealing with such issues. Or do we not trust our laws and police?

Again, kindergarten logic says "they attached us, so they shouldn't build a Mosque here."

One of two things is true:
(1) the 9/11 hijackers have embraced a distorted and false teaching based on the words of the prophet. They are not true Muslims. They stand apart from them Muslims that wish to build the Mosque. So what's the problem?
(2) the 9/11 hijackers have correctly followed the teachings of the prophet and died as good Muslims. The folks who wish to build the Mosque are watered down Muslims. They stand apart from the crazy dangerous Muslim hijackers. So what's the problem?
My point is, the Muslims who wish to build the Mosque are not the ones we need to worry about. And if they are, they'll get arrested.

Some might say that extremists would see the Mosque as a victory. I say, stopping the Mosque will only serve as another example of "western oppression." Damned if you do, damned if you don't. They wont like you no matter what you do. You can't beat an extremist movement by force or logic. But you can starve them of new recruits that might say, among other things, "Hold on now. I think those Americans are meddlesome too, but look, they allowed a Mosque near Ground Zero."

Some might say that it could become a headquarters for future attacks. I say again, we have laws against such conspiracies and forces tasked to deal with it. Besides it might be a great place to gather intelligence from.

Some might say that the money to build the Mosque might be coming from extremists. I say good; follow the money and get those guys.

Some say that we'll allow a Mosque at Ground Zero when they allow a Church is Saudi Arabia. You want to be like Saudi Arabia? You have at it! I believe the United States is different, and better, than Saudi Arabia in this respect. I don't want to be like them. I want to be like us.

Some might say that New York is tolerant enough and this Mosque goes too far. As if the presence of a Mosque has adverse effects on the community. I am more offended by a strip club, a liquor store, or Starbucks, than I am of a Mosque. As much as I don't believe in Islam, I'm under the impression that they don't abuse their bodies, numb their senses, and/or jack up their prices to take advantage of your unhealthy addiction like those businesses do.

Some might say that the families of the victims would feel offended. Now this argument sways me a bit. What happened was a terrible tragedy. It was an event that effected us all. An event we should never forget. But again, the people to knocked down the towers are not the people who wish to build this temple. They are in the unfortunate circumstance that there are crazy people out there who do things in the name of their god, and they often suffer retaliatory attacks for it. Many so called Christians have done many unchristian things in the name of Christ. Should the recent child molestation problems in the Catholic church serve as an example of the failure of Christian morals? I don't think so.

This is a tremendous opportunity for us to stand together as a nation to say that the extremists do not own Islam. That we will not allow their actions to dictate our behavior. That we can see the difference between the extremists and our Muslims brothers, who are as American as we are. And that while we may not believe what they believe, in this great nation, there is always room for respect.

In the end, I hope my opinion is moot. Because as I see it, this deal is between the seller, the buyer, and any agencies regulating the transaction. "The rest is silence." (Hamlet, by William Shakespeare)

God forgive me if I am wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment