Monday, November 1, 2010

There is such a thing as too right

What I think happened is that I was always on the right, a conservative by every definition. Then the right moved further right and I chose not to follow them. I didn't go to the left, the right went righter.

I received an e-mail from a trusted and beloved friend listing the reasons why Christians should vote republican in the upcoming election. What follows is my reply to his e-mail, and my impression to the opposite.




I don't buy it.

Obama was handed an economy on life support.
Put there by a republican president with majorities in the house and the senate until, I think, 2006.
Bush abandoned the war everyone supported for the one that noone understood.
He relaxed regulations that would have saved us from the economic crisis (maybe even the oil disaster).

I might agree with the argument that Obama has increased the deficit and international debt with little to show for it.
But look at what he has to work with.
Every proposal he has supported, even if it was one championed by republicans just a few years ago, now filibustered by those same republicans.
Filibusters not for any understandable objections, but simply because they are being proposed by democrats.

Example
The democrats want to extend the Bush tax cuts for all except those who make over $250,000.00 a year.
The republicans want the to extend that cut for all.
Democrats don't think we can afford that.
To get what they want, republicans are threatening to let those tax breaks expire, giving the middle class a major tax hike.
To get what they want, they are holding the middle class hostage.

I'm not saying democrats are saints.
But it's clear by their tactics and policies that the republicans aren't looking out for the every-day American; or at least not anymore.

The way I seek it:
Democrats are well meaning cowards.
Republicans are boastful jerks.

I find one more attractive than the other.

Republicans boast as believers, but by their policies and behaviors, many of them fail as Christians.
Democrats shy away from their faith durring elections, but seem to be guided by their hearts in office.

Reminds me of the parable of the two brothers.
One said yes, but didn't follow through.
The other said no, but delivered in the end.

I find one more attractive than the other.

I may be wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment